Boerne Cemetery -700 and 800 Block of North School Street
Operation & Recognition
The City of Boerne owns, operates, and maintains the cemetery. It is recognized by the State of Texas as a historical place, with many early German and English settlers buried there.
Sections One & Two
The oldest parts of the cemetery are in sections one and two. There is a row of graves in the center of these sections that faces toward the middle. In section two, there is a row that is marked Pauper Row. Many of the inscriptions on these older graves are in German.
Researchers find the cemetery an excellent source of historical information. It truly reflects the history of Boerne and houses the graves of several of Boerne's historic individuals.
Map to Cemetery According to Boerne City Council meeting minutes from October 7, 1867, Adam Vogt, for the sum of $1, deeded to the city one acre and 4.357 varas of land on the San Antonio-Fredericksburg Road (now School Street) to be used as a cemetery.
On January 28, 1867, a notice was sent to the community members who had committed themselves to pay $2 for a space nine feet by 4.5 feet for reserved family graves. It stated that they must pay this money by the end of April, 1867, so that the land could be surveyed and fenced. The city has added land to the original cemetery from time to time as needed.